I was gobsmacked recently to learn that one of my fav bloggers, the hilarious and sweet Beth Teliho at Writer B Is Me, honored me with my first ever blog award, the Sunshine Award! If you don’t already know and love Beth, you must visit her ASAP.
Beth’s version of the award rules was right up my alley (there are rules???) in that the only rule was that I have to display the award on my blog. It only took me 3 tries, and there it is, under the Archives link. 😀
But, in the interest of fun, I am going to also do my version (5 of each) of the rest of Beth’s award steps. You can read her award post here: Naps, Zombies and Sunshine Take advantage of the fact that, in addition to yours truly, Beth has nominated a whole bunch of very talented bloggers that you will want to check out right away!
So, first off, 5 facts about me that you probably don’t know:
- For the first 6 years of my life, I was known as Roby, short for my middle name, Robyn. In my 7th year, for some reason that I can no longer recall, I adamantly became Lynn, despite my given name being spelled Lynne. In my 20’s, when I got a *real* job, a mortgage, etc., it just seemed simpler to use the official spelling of my name. No wonder I have spent years searching for my authentic self.
- I am a Certified Scuba diving instructor, with probably a hundred students that I certified, and thousands of dives in my past. I became certified, and completed all of my advanced training, in the murky, cold lakes of Texas. This despite growing up in sunny, hot, Florida.
- I would pass up ANY form of dessert, ANYTIME, for tortilla chips, really good salsa, and cheese dip with jalapenos.
- I was born in Livorno, Italy. Most people don’t know where that is, so it is simpler to just say Pisa, where the Tower leans.
- We moved from Italy to Germany when I was three, and I spoke Italian, German and English until I was 6, when we moved to Florida. Then I took 5 years of Spanish in middle and high school. Years later I moved to San Antonio, and traveled often to Mexico, where I was able to use my Spanish a bit. Today, all remnants of multilingualism (yes, that is a word, google it) have escaped me, although I speak English fairly well, and can understand and speak enough Spanish to order #3!
Now to answer 5 of Beth’s deep and thoughtful questions:
- If you could go back in time ten years and tell yourself one thing, what would it be? Get healthier, get fitter, and start NOW!
- Beth asked: If you were to take me on a date, where would we go and why? I would pick you up on my motorcycle, after outfitting you head to toe in appropriate riding gear, including a toasty heated jacket & gloves, and take you to experience what most people don’t even know exists in Texas, the beautiful and curvy Texas Hill Country. After experiencing the wonderful riding and scenery in the hills around Blanco, Fredericksburg, Kerrville, and Boerne, you’d have to take a momentary break from your vegan ways to pig out on barbecue at Rudy’s in Leon Springs. Then we would swap our riding gear for jeans and boots, and the bike for a town car that would deliver us safely to and from the legendary Flores Country Store in Helotes, where we would see Robert Earl Keen perform in his element!
- Above all else, what are you afraid of? Having any regrets about what I didn’t do at the end of my life.
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? Be a writer 😀
- What has been your favorite age to be and why? The age I am right now. I am healthier, happier, and closer to the “I don’t give a f#$k what anyone else thinks” mode than I have ever been.
And finally, my 5 nominations for the Sunshine Award!!!
These fabulously creative and talented bloggers truly make me think, dream, aspire and oftentimes laugh out loud. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness shown to this new blogger over the last several months, and I hope to be able to pay it forward in time!
I have to caveat this list with the fact that in my short blog-life, not everyone I have discovered and enjoyed thus far could be considered “Sunshiny”. I have my favs that can be dark and brooding as well, and as soon as I find the time to locate a “dark and brooding” award category, I will be awarding those too!
If you have been living in a cave, or are new to blogging, and don’t know about these 5 awesome bloggers (or even if you do), please go check them out just as quickly as you can.
- The hilarious and unbelievably talented Aussa Lorens at Hacker.Ninja.Hooker.Spy
- I aspire to one day be just like the motorcycle gals at Cheryl and Leslie’s Motorcycle Adventures
- My role model for this new phase of my life, Kelly at Try New Things – Experiences Not Stuff
- The entertaining Claire, who is “living in Sweden for no particular reason” at The Grass Is Dancing
- And last, but never least, for all things that kick ass, CBXB at Cowboys and Crossbones
Again, a HUGE thank you to Beth, who has been so kind to this newbie…you rock, and tons of BIG blog-love to you!